“I don’t know why I keep crying!” I said to Steve as I put my head against his chest and he wrapped his arms around me. Something unimaginable had happened, and I was really struggling.
For the first day, I was either in tears or near tears all day. Every time I was alone in the van or at home, I thought about that event, and I would just cry.
All those wonderful Bible verses I had memorized over the years – I just couldn’t keep them at the front of my mind to help me. I couldn’t because I was dwelling on what had happened instead of focusing on God.
One day I just sat down on the floor of my bedroom and cried. I begged God to redirect my thoughts. I got into God’s Word and focused on who He is and what He had done for me.
Who Is God?
My search began with verses about peace, which I wrote in a notebook. My mind was so chaotic with the events that had happened, and I just needed God’s peace. These are some of the verses He led me to that day:
- “I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for thou, Lord, only makest me dwell in safety.” – Psalm 4:8.
I so needed sleep and His peace!
- “And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful.” – Colossians 3:15.
I couldn’t let what happened rob me of peace.
My favorite verse is Isaiah 26:3. “Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.” I just needed to concentrate on God and all His wonderful attributes!
When I started filling my mind with these verses, my attention shifted. I began to have peace again. Sitting on my bedroom floor, I decided to do a devotional study on Who God is. This is Who I discovered:
- God is my strong helper: Psalm 18:29 “For by thee I have run through a troop; and by my God have I leaped over a wall.
- God is my encourager: Psalm 3:3 “But thou, O Lord, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head.”
- God is great: Psalm 145:3 “Great is the Lord, and greatly to be praised; and his greatness is unsearchable.”
- God is my de-stresser: Psalm 4:1 “Hear me when I call, O God of my righteousness: thou hast enlarged me when I was in distress; have mercy upon me, and hear my prayer.”
- God is my understanding helper: Hebrews 4:15-16 “For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.”
There are so many more verses for each of these attributes, and there are also so many more attributes! God is love, holy, longsuffering, my protector. The list goes on and on, and I keep finding more verses and attributes to add! I have accumulated all these into a list, and each morning I choose one or two to thank God for. This way I am constantly reminded of how wonderful our God is, and it helps me keep the focus on Him, not on me or what’s happening around me.
One more thought….
At a recent bridal shower, our youth pastor’s wife challenged the bride-to-be, along with all the other ladies there, to not only keep a journal of the attributes of God but also to pray those attributes for her husband. What a great idea! We are to be like Him, right? Why not pray for our husbands, our children, and even ourselves to share His qualities? This won’t be applicable for some attributes, such as sovereign, omniscient, omnipresent, etc., but what a wonderful idea for all the others!
How about you? Do you have a “God is” journal or list?
Leave a comment below with your favorite verse on an attribute of God.